Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Had Them, I Held Them, and I'm Grateful for Groucho Marx Glasses



i had the sweetest dream last night.  

i was walking home down a city street that felt like it belonged in boston even though i haven't lived there in 8 years.  it was evening so the city was quiet, hushed.  the sky had just stopped pouring and the air carried a crisp, freshness that comes with washing the day away.  the street lights were a soft yellow and the wet pavement reflected back their warmth.  i made it to the top of a hill where new cement met old cobblestone and paused to catch my breath.  that incline was a familiar one to me, in this dream of mine, and wasn't usually guilty of making me winded.  but last night it was a harder climb.  i was holding something.  i was holding my son.  i was holding him tight to my chest, both of my arms wrapped around him, and we were talking.  full sentence how was your day how is your heart how are you kind of talking.  and i was listening with all of my senses and we were just walking.  

then the oddest thing happened.  i don't recall transferring him into the arms of someone else, i don't recall walking back to where i began and beginning again, but all of a sudden there i was walking up the same hill, pausing in the same spot,  turning at the same corner, taking the same journey home... with my daughter.

i made that journey four times in my dream last night.  i held each of my children .  i asked them how they were and really listened to their answers.  i kissed their faces on the soft piece of real estate that is the space where their cheeks meet the outer corners of their eyes.  

i held them.  i had them.

today there is a phantom pain from their absence.  all at the same time i am heartbroken and grateful, mourning the time that i have lost and eagerly awaiting the time that is to come.  i am trying to focus on the gratitude part... so here we go.


today i am thankful for:

an in-country director who knew i would have wanted to see the twins open their birthday presents.
and camera phones.
and groucho marx glasses.

capitol records for continuously playing a video about the raining season to a crowd of 25,000 people at their annual street party in downtown nashville last week.


facebook for allowing me to stalk the photos of people who took trips to sierra leone when the twins were babies and captured moments holding them.  (baby gerald)


(baby deen)



looking through other people's trip pictures from sierra leone and spotting mo's sweet face in the upper left corner


this gorgeous profile (mamie on left)

i am grateful, i am grateful, i am grateful.  this is my new motto.  please don't let me forget it.



2 comments:

  1. Somehow I lost your blog, I think it happened this summer when I was in Africa battling for my boy, and I just found it again today so am reading through past posts, and this one, oh this one made me stop reading and hold my boys, so grateful to no longer have my family separated by an ocean, that ache is like no other, I haven't got all the way caught up on your blog yet so am still hoping that more recent posts hold more good news, progress to your babies, thinking of you and hoping that soon your family will be all together on the same side of the ocean, forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boy is home?!?! That is incredible!!!!!!!!!!! I am completely fallen behind on my blog reading while moving, and I am overdue reading yours. This is such great news, what a very merry Christmas you'll be having! Thank you for your kind words, and congratulations on your beautiful family. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete